England Hockey Men’s League Semi-Final

Surbiton 2 – 1 Beeston
28th April, Lee Valley Tennis and Hockey Centre
Goalscorers: –

  • Beeston – Mark Gleghorne (PC49)
  • Surbiton – Arjan Drayton Chana (FG32), Nicholas Parkes (FG38)
  • Squad – Simon Hujwan 1 , Mark Wadsley 3 , Ollie Willars 4 , Kyle Marshall 5 , Robbie Gleeson 6 (56) , Gareth Griffiths 7 , Joe Sharp 8 , Mark Gleghorne 9 , Gareth Andrew 10 , Samuel Ward 13 , Adam Dixon 14 , Lucas Garcia Alcalde 15 , Stephen Lawrence 16 , Richard Lawrence 17 , Marius Gemmel 18 , James Blackwell 20 , Chris Proctor 21 , Will Powell 30

Article – England Hockey.
Surbiton secured their place at the Men’s Hockey League final after seeing off Beeston in a tight semi-final.

In a game high on quality with the best part of 15 full internationals on show, two high-class goals from Arjan Drayton-Chana and Nick Parkes proved the difference.
It was Surbiton who came closest to scoring in the first period, finding good territory in the Beeston D but being denied by an excellent double save from Simon Hujwan in the Bees’ goal.
It was an intriguing game between two of the country’s top teams, and Beeston forced Harry Gibson into a good save near the 20-minute mark, Sam Ward chopping an effort goalwards on the counter; Gibson standing tall to deny his fellow England international.
Right on half time it was Ward who again looked dangerous after another excellent Beeston break, and then the ball flashed across Surbiton’s goal just before the half ended goalless.
Into the second half, it took less than 90 seconds for the game’s first goal, the skilful Arjan Drayton-Chana firing low past Hujwan with aplomb. Soon the league’s top goalscorer and player of the year Alan Forsyth was looking for a second, only to be denied by Beeston’s back line.
Brilliant play from Forsyth then doubled Surbiton’s advantage; the Scot showing superb control and awareness to find Nick Parkes, who turned home well from close range.
Surbiton were then denied what would have been a super third, Drayton-Chana showing brilliant skill to create a chance for Forsyth, who shot home only to be denied for an apparent back stick.
Beeston were pushing for a way back into the game, and early into the fourth quarter they forced Gibson into a crucial double save from a penalty corner. But soon they did have a foothold, Mark Gleghorne drilling home a trademark flick with eleven minutes remaining.
Beeston then pushed for a leveller, and Gibson saved again from Gleghorne to ensure it was Surbiton who progressed to the final against Hampstead & Westminster on Sunday.